Friday, February 19, 2016

Richard Dawkins VS. Alister McGrath

I'm a bit past half way through Dawkin's God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life by Alister McGrath and find the discussion fascinating. My wife does NOT! I read aloud a page for Lorraine, we had to read a book you see, and Shaina remarked, "How can read that drivel!?! I can't repeat even a word of it!" We are all different, and that will be one of the main topics of discussion for this blog. Alas, the first book I want to work through for the blog is still on its way through the inter library loan system. I can't wait to dig in!

Back to McGrath. The main focus of the book so far is wrestling with the a/theological implications of the biological theory of evolution. The theory of evolution is taken for granted in this book, though the development of the theory given some attention. The main question of the book, however, is this: assuming the that the theory of biological evolution is true, does this require a thinking person to ascribe to atheism. Dawkins says, "Yes!", while McGrath responds, "No!".

I am with McGrath on this one. I see no reason to believe that biological evolution leads to atheism. I actually, to tell you the true, think it gives even more reason to believe there is something "beyond" our normal field of experience.

Whether or not evolution is compatible with Biblical, historic Christianity is another question (for another day :)), but, from the stand point of classical theism, there is nothing to fear.

I may expand this another day to a greater analysis of the arguments, but for now, Lorraine needs a diaper change!

No comments:

Post a Comment